This year’s Olney Farm Report boasts a change in management, new construction, renovations, annual events, and an organic certification, as well as a bounty full of harvested vegetables and grains. There are also changes and increases to the animal farm. We have much to celebrate, the first of which is the approval [...]
On Saturday, April 23rd, Olney Friends School welcomed nearly a dozen middle school students to campus for our annual Farm Out event. Visitors began the day with a poetry workshop held by humanities teacher Roger Reynolds. Spanish teacher Connie Collins then led a map-based scavenger hunt. The group made its way down [...]
After considerable effort and volunteer hours, Olney's new broiler house is now complete. The first residents of the house are 200 organic chicks that arrived in mid-April. A special thanks to everyone who donate their time and labor to making this project possible!
The Towe Ranch This was part of the old Aaron Frame farm. In 1966, the Ed Towe family purchased the land from Ray McFarland and donated it to the school. The 52 acres included pasture and tillable land, completing the circle of farm land surrounding the school.
The Taber Farm "On April 1, 1957, we deeded the farm to Friends Boarding School of Barnesville, Ohio, and as of the same date, transferred our portion of the herd of Jerseys to the School. We made three requests. First; that the property be kept intact, and known as the 'Taber Farm' as long as possible to do so. [...]
The Plummer House Abraham Plummer settled the property in 1801 and the first house in Warren Township was built in the front yard. Plummer was the fourth citizen of Barnesville and the first Quaker to settle in town. The original part of the current house was constructed around the late 1820s or early 1830s by Robert [...]
Campus Farm: Friends Boarding School This is the view of the campus farm some time after 1912 from the 20 Acres hillside. The school was relocated from Mt. Pleasant (where it was founded in 1837) to its current Barnesville location in 1876 and built on the corner of four farms donated by Benjamin Stanton, Barkley [...]